Evan Bend will present information to help OWLSnet libraries make decisions about e-content.
Location: Appleton Public Library Meeting Room C (Directions & Parking)
How can we build a better OWLSnet e-content collection? As part of the OWLSnet planning process, this workshop will provide a framework for setting priorities and deciding how to develop, fund, and promote e-content resources.
Review of current e-content subscriptions
Look at cost, usage statistics, technical and training issues related to currently available e-content.
- Digital Buying Pool (OverDrive)
- OWLSnet resources (OneClick, Ancestry, TumbleBooks)
- APL resources (Zinio, Mango, ...)
- BadgerLink updates
Overview of emerging trends in e-content
Discuss trends in publishing and e-content technology that impact library lending (e.g. DRM, streaming, purchasing models, costs, and new technologies).
- What is OverDrive up to?
- What are competitors up to? (EBSCO, B&T, 3M, Amazon)
- Overview of products available. What are other libraries subscribing to?
Planning for 2015
Based on current usage and emerging trends, how should we invest our resources?
- Should we make any changes to our current subscriptions?
- Should we spend more "Advantage" money?
- Should we create a local digital buying pool for additional resources?
- Should we piggyback on any APL resources?
- Should we advocate for an increase in the statewide digital buying pool?
- Ideas for creative financing?